Translate

Saturday 16 July 2016

The Book of Jonah Small Prophet Chapter 1


The Book of Jonah

 Chapter 1



1. Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Ammitai, saying, 2. Go at once to Nineveh, that great city, and cry and cry out against it; for their wickedness has come up before me."



(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verses 1 to 2)




Oh God my Father nothing that we do can ever happen without Your knowledge and awareness. You know what is going on and even who is doing this and that form of evil, even if that nation is functioning behind the scenes meaning in the background until it is time to make one's appearance and show one's true colours. It would have been better for such people to never have been created. Amen.



Oh God my Father as You are fully aware I am referring to the recent event when the driver of a truck possibly the member of this terrorist group drove on to many people and causing the death of many people and injuring others as in the following link:-



Truck rams into crowd of people




3. But Jonah set out to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD. He went down to Joppa and found a ship going to Tarshish; so he paid his fare and went on board, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the presence of the LORD.




(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 3)




Oh God my Father when and wherever can we escape Your presence. You are everywhere at any time. All the time You are aware of our actions and we can never escape from doing Your will even if we go far away as did Jonah, when the time comes You will soon put us back on track again to do Your will Amen.


4. But the LORD hurled a great wind upon the sea, and such a mighty storm came upon the sea that the ship threatened to break up.


(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 4)


Oh God my Father at times we are so obstinate that it literally requires outstanding action to place us back on track such as an accident that is so strong that it has the possibility of claiming our lives, or maybe a narrow escape or illness with the  possibility of being terminal. We are so hard headed. We have been bombarded with the need of repentance for ages but we still have not abandoned our ways.



5. Then the mariners were afraid, and each cried to his god. They threw the cargo that was in the ship into the sea, to lighten it for them. Jonah meanwhile, had gone down into the hold of the ship and had lain down and was fast asleep.


(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 5)




Oh God my Father, it is interesting that when we end up in trouble we refer to our 'gods'. For some of us our 'gods' or 'god' has become ourselves! However, in truth, You are our one and only God, however, if we do not empty ourselves of our sinful nature and worldly ties and treasures we cannot fill ourselves with You. As the sailors tried to empty the ship to make it lighter, we are to empty ourselves from all that is blocking our relationship with You. Amen.




6. The captain came and said to him, "What are you doing sound asleep? Get up, call on your god! Perhaps the god will spare us a thought so that we do not perish."



(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 6)



Oh God my Father during times of trouble even if one is not convinced of Your existence, we all turn on You for help. Without admitting it in truth we all believe in You. I pray oh God my Father that we change our attitude and seek to believe in You during both the good times and even the not so good times Amen.


On reflecting on verse 6 I remembered when You were with the twelve, and while asleep a huge storm threatened to sink the boat. However, You were unaffected by the circumstances and rebuked the sea and the wind and restored order. Jonah on the other hand on being woken up by the captain may have become aware that it was his fault that the storm was raging. I could have imagined Jonah's reaction when the captain told him to pray to that same God that he had tried to escape by boarding the boat. 



7. The sailors said to one another, "Come, let us cast lots, so that we may know on whose account this calamity has come upon us." So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah. 8. Then they said to him, "Tell us why this calamity has come upon us. What is your occupation? Where do you come from? What is your country? And of what people are you?"



(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verses 7 to 8)



Oh God my Father when disaster strikes it is always right an proper to consult You in order to discern Your will in the given circumstances and seek a course of action in order to deal with the issue or issues at hand Amen.



9. " I am a Hebrew," he replied, " I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land."




(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 9)



Oh God my Father I pray that as in the case of Jonah when we are put to the test, we are not afraid of proclaiming in public that we believe in You, even if we risk being ridiculed or humiliated because we believe in You Amen.




10 Then the men were even more afraid, and said to him, "What is this that you have done! For the men knew that he was fleeing from the presence of the LORD because he had told them so.



(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 10)



Oh God Your name is so awesome that it breeds fear in those who know about You but do not actually believe in You. People of these times had Your fear in them, fearing in someone in whom they did not believe or know. However, during our times I am sorry to say there are many of us who know alot about You since the time of their childhood but in fact do not actually know You because they have never made a direct experience of You in their life, therefore their relationship with You is cold and distant. I pray that we believe more in You than in the ways and people of the world Amen.



11. Then they said to him, "What shall we do to you, that the sea may quiet down for us?" For the sea was growing more and more tempestuous. 


(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 11)



Oh God, we may ask You the same question ourselves. What are we to do to obtain salvation? And the answer is always the same! Repent and turn back from our ways, and seek a relationship, with You my God and Father. Be baptised in the Holy Spirit again and seek a new life in the Spirit instead of in the flesh Amen.



12. He said to them, "Pick me up and throw me into the sea; then the sea will quiet down for you; for I know it is because of me that this great storm has come upon you."


(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 12) 



Oh God my Father in our hearts of hearts we are all aware of when our actions are justified to when they are not in obedience to Your holy will or to that of our superiors. As You know tomorrow I have an appointment at 10.am at the Policlinic, I forgot to inform my supervisor about it. At 9.am I have a meeting with her, even on thinking about it I feel the stress and the guilt of my error and will be a bit edgy till the ordeal is over. I pray oh God that You be with me and save me from the pit even though I do not deserve it Amen.


13. Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring the ship back to land, but they could not, for the sea grew more and more stormy against them.



(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 13) 



Oh God my Father, the more we try to go against Your ways the tougher it becomes, however on the other hand, the more we live according to Your ways the more spiritually healthy it becomes, however the evil one stops at nothing to make life difficult for us but You oh God my Father are in control. Amen.


14. Then they cried out to the LORD, "Please O LORD, we pray, do not let us perish on account of this man's life. Do not make us guilty of innocent blood; for you, O LORD have done as it pleased you."



(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 14) 



Oh God my Father at times we end up in a dilemma in relation to which is the best course of action as in the case of the sailors in killing Jonah by throwing him overboard would be a terrible sin, however, on the other hand, the sparing, of their lives was also an important issue. Therefore in order to feel at peace in relation to their decision they prayed to God so that he would put this great sin on their account because it was not according to their will that they were about to do it but in spite of the situation.

Oh God, I pray that You always enlighten us during such critical moments so that we are able to make the correct decisions that are according to Your will Amen.



15. So they picked Jonah up and threw him into the sea; and the sea ceased from its raging.  16. Then the men feared the LORD even more, and they offered a sacrifice to the LORD and made vows.


(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verses 15 to 16) 


Oh God my Father on seeing that you had calmed the raging sea the sailors became more afraid because they witnessed Your power and control over the forces of nature. They might have thought that now You would turn against them for having committed a murder by throwing a prophet into the sea so in order to 'keep You happy and on their side', they offered sacrifices. Oh God my Father that when we obey You we do so out of faith and not as a consequence of fear Amen.



17. But the LORD provided a large fish to swallow up Jonah: and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. 



(The Book of Jonah Chapter 1 verse 17) 



Oh God my Father at times we may have an agenda that is different from Yours. As in the case of Jonah who wanted to lead his life according to his own plans, at time, we may also consider of living the 'I do it my way ' Frank Sinatra way. However, You love us so much that You create circumstances even in the natural sphere in order to save us from our own negative ways. Amen. I thank You for loving ,me so much. I thank You for permitting me to be a social worker when You decided that I was ready for it and not at the time when I was grumbling and insisting Amen. I pray that I always will what You will and that my will, will always be Yours Amen.



Oh God my Father I like to end this first chapter of the book of Jonah  with the following prayer:



I pray that I always will what You will and that my will, will always be Yours Amen.









No comments:

Post a Comment